The Babilon Language School offers Survival Hungarian and Cultural Course, a two-and-a-half week course in Hungarian culture and practical language skills, prior to the beginning of each semester. (See the BSME academic calendar for the exact dates of the course.) This is optional and not included in the BSME tuition—see below for the details about the cost of the course.
If you indicated on your application that you would like to participate in this course, you will automatically be enrolled. If you did not indicate that on your application and would like to attend, please contact the BSME North American Office to enroll. You will receive an email from Babilon Language School, about a month before the language course begins, with details on the program.
Note: During 2021 & 2022, due to Covid precautions, this course is required for all students. When it is not required, we strongly advise that you take this course, since it gives you an opportunity to adjust to Budapest before your BSME semester.
Remarks from Students
- “The Babilon language classes played a huge part in setting the foundation for my social/cultural experience while in Hungary, and I would definitely recommend it to future students.”
- “Everyone should do this! It was SO beneficial to be here for 3 weeks without having to worry about school, and just getting to learn about the place I was going to be living in. It was so nice to get to participate in lots of social activities and tours and other outings, as well as get to know people before the program started. I was on the fence about doing this, but I’m 110% glad I did. It was an essential part of me adjusting to life here and making friends.”
- “It should be emphasized that it is not only learning a little Hungarian but it is also getting a few weeks to learn about the culture and walk around the city with other students. The trips were wonderful and I really got to experience Hungarian culture, instead of diving right into my classes. I think everyone who is available during the time it is offered and can afford it should go. I am so glad I did it.”
The cost of the course is $380. Checks should be made payable to “Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education” and sent to the BSME North American Office by the following dates:
- before July 1 for Fall semester
- before December 15 for Spring semester
Refund policy: If you choose not to participate in the course after paying the $380 fee, but at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the course, you will receive an 80% refund. If you cancel later but until or on the first day of the course, you will receive a 60% refund. After that, there is no refund.
If you have any questions about the course, please contact the Babilon school directly:
Babilon Language School
Károly krt 3/a IV em