Dates for Summer 2020
Summer@BSME is a six-week program. Participants take a variety of courses in mathematics education and complete a week-long field experience. We meet roughly four to five hours a day, four to five days a week. All courses (except for the field experience) are held at the BSME Building.
- Program begins on Monday, June 29. (Recommended latest arrival: Saturday, June 27.)
- Program ends on Saturday, August 8. (Housing available until Sunday, August 9.)
Summer@BSME has two academic components: (a) courses in mathematics education and (b) field experience at a mathematics camp for secondary students. Participants learn about the Hungarian pedagogy in their course work; in the field experience, they obtain first-hand experience on how the methods learned in the courses are put into practice.
Note: The course offerings below are tentative. Please contact us if you have questions.
Mathematics Education Courses: The first three courses listed below is each a half-credit (0.5 credit) course that meets for 20 contact hours. Practicum is a full-credit (1.0 credit) course has an in-class component, and a field experience component during the program’s last week—in total, the course consists of about 40–45 contact hours. (Note: 1 contact hour equals 60 minutes.)
- Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method
- Teaching Geometry through Problem Solving (syllabus coming soon!)
- Technology in Mathematical Problem Solving
- Practicum: Experiencing the Hungarian Approach through Observation and Teaching
Please see the Schedule & Syllabi page for details.