Summer@BSME is a six-week summer program in Budapest for those interested in the learning and teaching of secondary mathematics. Participants take a variety of courses in mathematics education and complete a week-long field experience. Come experience the Hungarian approach to learning and teaching of mathematics—which emphasizes problem solving, creativity, and communication—as well as the rich and vibrant culture of Hungary.
The links below for the BSME semester program also pertain to Summer@BSME:
- Overview of BSME
- Who Should Apply? (In-service teachers are welcome, too!)
- Hungarian Approach and Sample Task
Dates for Summer 2018
Summer@BSME is a six-week program. We meet four hours a day, five days a week.
In 2018, Summer@BSME will run from early July to mid-August. The exact dates of the program will be determined and posted here in September, 2017.
See this page for a more detailed schedule of the Summer 2018 program.
Summer@BSME has two academic components: (a) courses in mathematics education and (b) field experience at a mathematics camp for secondary students. Participants learn about the Hungarian approach in their course work; in the field experience, they obtain first-hand experience on how the methods learned in the courses are put into practice.
Mathematics Education Courses: Participants typically take three or four courses from the following. Each is a half-credit course that meets roughly two hours a day, five days a week, for two weeks—for a total of 18 to 20 contact hours per summer. (Note: 1 contact hour equals 60 minutes.)
- Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method
- Problem Solving in Secondary School Mathematics
- Concept Building through Games and Manipulatives
- Technology in Mathematical Problem Solving
Field Experience: The field experience (i.e., Practicum) is a half-credit course that is required. It meets roughly four hours a day, five days a week, for one week—for a total of 18 to 20 contact hours.
- Practicum: Experiencing the Hungarian Approach through Observation and Teaching
[Complete this section once we figure out the details of housing. Be sure to explain how meals will be provided during Week 6 (at MaMuT).]
Tuition and Costs
The tuition for the Summer 2018 program is $X,XXX.
Please see the following pages for details on tuition payment:
Below are costs that are not included in the tuition. Please note that these are based on the current exchange rate and the costs may vary as the rate fluctuates.
- Transportation to and from Budapest: To be arranged by the participant.
- Living costs: See table below. (Note: Utilities typically include water, electricity, heating, gas, internet, and common charges.) The costs are given in Hungarian forint (HUF). An estimated total over 6 weeks is [give range] HUF.
|Expense description||Estimated cost over 6 weeks
|Rent (not including utilities)||100,000 HUF|
|Utilities||20,000 – 40,000 HUF|
|Food||30,000 – 90,000 HUF|
|Local transportation||15 000 HUF
|Miscellaneous||30,000 – 60,000 HUF|