Important: Upon acceptance to BSME, you must complete the online Housing/Roommate Form.
Weeks 1–5 (in Budapest)
While in Budapest, you will be renting apartments from private Hungarian landlords. All BSME residences are within easy reach of the BSME Building using the convenient and inexpensive public transportation.
BSME staff in Budapest will coordinate housing assignments, and they will help students with housing situations. Specific questions on housing should be directed to the BSME Budapest Office. We will inform you of your housing assignment prior to your arrival in Budapest. Do not look for housing on your own.
- You will share an apartment with other BSME students. You will have your own bedroom and share a kitchen and a bathroom with them.
- Apartments are completely furnished with basic and necessary items such as furniture, sheets, towels, kitchenware, etc.
- Apartments have washers, but dryers are not typical in Hungary. (You can easily hang dry your clothes.)
- Air-conditioning is not typical in Hungarian apartments, and the temperature can get as hot as 85 ℉ in July. We recommend buying a fan if you feel that is too hot.
We do our best to find housing that best suits your needs. However, if you have any concerns with your housing situation, please notify the BSME Student Coordinator who will help you sort out the problem.
Cost of Budapest apartment:
- Rent is 125,000 – 175,000 HUF per student for the five weeks.
- Utilities cost (based upon moderate usage) is 25,000 – 50,000 HUF per student for the five weeks.
Rent is payable in cash upon your arrival, often including a refundable deposit of one month’s rent. Do not sign any lease agreements until you fully understand and are comfortable with the terms, and do not pay any rent until a contract is signed—the landlord should be willing to give you a few days grace period in which to do so.
Make sure that the contract clearly describes your utility fees and how they are calculated. Your contract must also specify individual payments if the apartment is occupied by multiple students. You will receive a sample contract from the BSME representative after arrival.
The BSME Budapest Office will assist you with this process, but please note that the housing contract is between you and your landlord (not BSME).
We expect that you treat each residence and its contents with dignity and respect. At the end of your stay, it is up to you to be sure that all trash has been removed from the premises, dishes are washed, and all keys are returned. Owners are allowed to deduct trash collection, repair, and extra cleaning costs from your refundable deposit.
Week 6 (in Mátrafüred)
During Week 6, you will live in a house near the mathematics camp for secondary students, where the field experience will take place. It is located in the beautiful village of Mátrafüred, on the southern side of the Mátra mountains.
Details of Mátrafüred house:
- Two to four BSME students share a bedroom.
- There is a common kitchen and dining area.
- The BSME Budapest Office will arrange transfer from Budapest to Mátrafüred (Sunday, August 2), and from Mátrafüred to downtown Budapest / Budapest airport (Sunday, August 9, in the morning). Note that you can book your flight for any time on August 9, and we can arrange a transfer.
Cost of Mátrafüred house:
- Rent, including utilities (based upon moderate usage), is 35,000 – 55,000 HUF per student for the week, which will be payable to the landlord upon arrival in Mátrafüred.
Meals at Mátrafüred:
The mathematics camp where the BSME participants will spend their days provides three meals a day for about 3,000 HUF per day. The cost of meals will be payable at the camp.
Please let us know through the online Medical Information Form if you have special dietary needs due to medical, religious or other reasons, so that camp organizers can order the appropriate meals for you.