Please see our COVID-19 Return Plan.
A BSME semester lasts 15 weeks (14 weeks of classes and 1 week of exams). We offer complementary experiences that support participants’ understanding of the learning and teaching of mathematics. The sections below describe the various components of the BSME academic program.
- See this page for how credits from BSME courses typically transfer to participants’ home institutions.
BSME typically offers the following courses that have a shared goal of engaging participants in the Hungarian approach to learning and teaching.
- PRC Practicum: Experiencing the Hungarian Approach through Observation and Teaching
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method
- GPS Teaching Geometry through Problem Solving
- GMP Gamification and Playfulness in Teaching Mathematics
- DRS Directed Research: Discovery Learning in Secondary Schools
- OME Guided Discovery in Online Mathematics Education (online format)
All BSME courses lie at the intersection of mathematics and education. But they differ in the emphasis placed on each discipline.
- GPS and DLP have an increased mathematical content. They provide participants with the experience of learning mathematics through the Hungarian pedagogy, so they can acquire firsthand understanding of the values of those experiences for learners.
- GMP, PRC, and DRS, while deeply situated in mathematics, have an increased focus on teaching methodology and on implementing the Hungarian pedagogy in the classroom setting.
The following types of courses are cross-listed with BSME. Whether these will be available for BSME students in 2021–2022 depends on the COVID situation.
BSM mathematics courses: BSM offers a large selection of interesting and challenging mathematics courses. Typical BSM course offerings are on this page.
- You may take at most one BSM mathematics course.
- Those who wish to take a BSM mathematics course are required to attend the BSM academic orientation.
- You are welcome to take any BSM mathematics course, except for RES Research Opportunities. If you’re not sure which one you should take, please ask us!
- BSM mathematics courses tend to be more challenging than typical undergraduate courses. Be sure to check the syllabi of these courses for the prerequisite knowledge needed.
- We also offer courses in humanities, language, and/or culture that are cross-listed with BSME. Please ask us for the list of such courses during each semester.
Pre-Semester Hungarian Immersion Course
Hungarian Immersion, a two-and-a-half week course in Hungarian culture and practical language skills, is offered at the beginning of the semester. In the Fall 2021 semester, the course is required for all in-person participants and will be offered online.