BSME Mathematics Education Courses
|8–10||PRC visit||DLP 8:30-10:00|
|10–12||GMP 11:00-12:15||PRC visit||PRC 10:10-11:40 & lunch|
|12–2||GPS 12:30-2:00||GMP 12:15-2:00||GPS 12:30-2:00||DLP 12:30-2:00|
- All classes meet in room 002 (except for the PRC visit)
- Practicum (PRC) involves a school visit (with Fruzsi) on Tuesdays, and a seminar (with Réka) on Thursdays. You will receive the school visit info by email each week.
- In the first week there is no PRC school visit, but a meeting at 10:15-11:45 on Tuesday in room 002
- On Thursdays the BSME group will go out for lunch with Réka and Orsi (optional)
- BSME Workshops will happen occasionally, participation is optional, but can be counted towards BSME courses
- PRC Practicum (Fruzsina Kollányi / Réka Szász)
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method (Péter Juhász)
- GPS Teaching Geometry through Problem Solving (Zoltán Gyenes)
- GMP Gamification and Playfulness in Teaching Mathematics (Márta Barbarics)
- DRS Directed Research: Discovery Learning in Secondary Schools (Márta Barbarics)
BSM offers a large selection of interesting and challenging mathematics courses. The following courses are cross-listed with BSME, although you are welcome to take any BSM mathematics course. See this page for syllabi and a complete list of BSM course offerings.
- AL1 Introduction to Abstract Algebra
- MAN Introduction to Mathematical Analysis
- CO1.A Combinatorics 1
- CO1.B Combinatorics 1
- C&P Conjecture and Proof
- MPS Mathematical Problem Solving
- NEG Non-Euclidean Geometries
- PRO Probability Theory
- SET Set Theory
- THC Theory of Computing
- TOP Introduction to Topology
Note: BSM mathematics courses tend to be more challenging than typical undergraduate courses. Be sure to check the syllabus of each course for the prerequisite knowledge needed.
The following courses in humanities, language, and/or culture are cross-listed with BSME, and are offered through either BSM or McDaniel College.
- FILM Great Masters of European Film
- HL1 Beginner Hungarian Language
- HL2.A Intermediate Hungarian Language
- HL2.B Intermediate Hungarian Language
- HUC Hungarian Art and Culture
- HUP Hungarian + – NON CREDIT
- MUS Hungarian Music in the 20th century – Classical, Folk and Popular
- PHI Philosophy of Mathematics
- PSY1106 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY2215 Cognitive Psychology
The following PE classes are offered through McDaniel College.
- Badminton: Mondays 10:15 am – 11:45 am
- Salsa: Mondays 5 pm – 6:30 pm
- Yoga: Tuesdays 10:30 am – 12 am
- Aerobics: Tuesdays 12:30 pm – 2 pm
- Ultimate Frisbee: Thursdays 10:15 am – 11:45 am
Each PE class meets 10 times per semester. You will earn 0.25 credit total on your BSME transcript for two PE classes. If you take one PE class, it will be listed on your transcript with 0 credit earned.
- We will email you the sign up sheet at the start of the semester.
- McDaniel students have a priority, so not all PE classes might be available for BSM/BSME students.
- Classes meet at the gym of the Veterinary University (opposite corner of Bethlen Gábor tér than the BSME building, same building as the cafeteria, Budapest, István u. 2, 1078, Building G). Ball games meet in the gym, salsa/yoga/aerobics meet in the studio, which has a separate entrance from the outside of the building, closer to István street.
- The McDaniel calendar is slightly different from the BSM/E calendar, so check with the instructor about meeting times.
You can also use the weight room at the gym, see this page for more information.