BSME Mathematics Education Courses
|10–12||DLP 10:30||PRC visit / OBM||GMP||GMP||PRC|
|12–2||GPS||PRC visit / OBM||GPS||DLP|
NOTES ON THE SCHEDULE
- All classes meet in room 002 (except for the PRC visit)
- Classes start at 15 minutes past the hour unless otherwise indicated
- Practicum (PRC) involves a school visit (with Fruzsi) on Tuesdays, and a seminar (with Réka) on Fridays. You will receive the school visit info by email each week.
- Workshops will happen occasionally, participation is optional, but can be counted towards BSME courses
- PRC Practicum (Fruzsina Kollányi / Réka Szász)
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method (Péter Juhász)
- GPS Teaching Geometry through Problem Solving (Zoltán Gyenes)
- GMP Gamification and Playfulness in Teaching Mathematics (Márta Barbarics)
- DRS Directed Research: Discovery Learning in Secondary Schools (Márta Barbarics)
- OBM Classroom Observations in Mathematics (Fruzsina Kollányi / Réka Szász) – compact version of Practicum for BSM students
BSM offers a large selection of interesting and challenging mathematics courses. The following courses are cross-listed with BSME, although you are welcome to take any BSM mathematics course. See this page for syllabi and a complete list of BSM course offerings.
- AL1 Introduction to Abstract Algebra
- MAN Introduction to Mathematical Analysis
- CO1.A Combinatorics 1
- CO1.B Combinatorics 1
- C&P Conjecture and Proof
- MPS Mathematical Problem Solving
- NEG Non-Euclidean Geometries
- PRO Probability Theory
- SET Set Theory
- THC Theory of Computing
- TOP Introduction to Topology
Note: BSM mathematics courses tend to be more challenging than typical undergraduate courses. Be sure to check the syllabus of each course for the prerequisite knowledge needed.
The following courses in humanities, language, and/or culture are cross-listed with BSME, and are offered through either BSM or McDaniel College.
- COM 1102 Introduction to Communication I: Interpersonal
- FILM Introduction to Cinema
- HL1 Beginner Hungarian Language
- HL2 Intermediate Hungarian Language
- HUC Hungarian Art and Culture
- HUP Hungarian + – NON CREDIT
- MUS Hungarian Music in the 20th century – Classical, Folk and Popular
- PHI Philosophy of Mathematics
- PSY2209 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY2215 Developmental Psychology (Prof. Anna Babarczy)
The following PE classes are offered through McDaniel College.
- Volleyball: Monday 10:15 – 11:45 am
- Weight Training: Tuesday 10:15 am – 12:45 pm
- Yoga: Tuesday 10:30 – 12:00 am ( no more places)
- Salsa: Tuesday 5:30 – 7 pm
- Indoor Soccer: Wednesday 10:15 am – 12:45 pm (no more places)
- We will email you the sign up sheet at the start of the semester.
- McDaniel students have a priority, so not all PE classes might be available for BSM/BSME students.
- Classes meet at the gym of the Veterinary University (opposite corner of Bethlen Gábor tér than the BSME building, same building as the cafeteria, Budapest, István u. 2, 1078, Building G). Ball games meet in the gym, salsa/yoga meet in the studio, which has a separate entrance from the outside of the building, closer to István street, and weight training meets in the weight room in the basement.
- The McDaniel calendar is slightly different from the BSM/E calendar, so check with the instructor about meeting times.
- A PE class will be listed on your transcript with 0 credit earned. If you take two PE classes, you will earn 0.25 credit total on your BSME transcript.
You can also use the weight room at the gym, see this page for more information.