Dates for Summer 2019
Summer@BSME is a six-week program.
- Program begins on Monday, July 1. (Recommended arrival: Saturday, June 29.)
- Program ends on Saturday, August 10.
This week introduces students to Hungarian mathematics education, language, and culture (including a grade 7 lesson observation). Besides, Arthur Benjamin mathemagician will give a talk on Secrets of Mental Math.
Detailed schedule (subject to small changes)
Weeks 2 through 5
You will take the following mathematics education courses.
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method (8 x 150 min sessions)
- PSM Problem Solving in Secondary School Mathematics (8 x 150 min sessions)
- TCH Technology in Mathematical Problem Solving (9 x 134 min sessions)
- PRC Practicum (in-class component: various sessions)
All classes and events (unless otherwise indicated) will take place in Room 107 of the BSME Building.
Week 2 (July 8–12):
*PRC: Workshop on Lénárt Spheres (István Lénárt)
Week 3 (July 15–19):
Weeks 4 and 5 (July 22 – August 2):
*July 23rd Tuesday 2-3:30 Polyuniverse Worskhop (János Saxon Szász, Zsuzsanna Dárdai) as part of PRC
- Sunday, Aug 4: Travel (as a group) to Mátrafüred.
- Monday through Friday, Aug 5-9: Field experience component of PRC Practicum at a mathematics camp for secondary students. You will attend mathematics classes with the students to gain first-hand experience of the Hungarian student-centered learning environment. You will engage in discussions about pedagogy with camp instructors and have the opportunity to assist with various camp activities (e.g., implementing a mathematics workshop for students).
- Saturday, Aug 10: Farewell party; the end of the program.
- Sunday, Aug 11: Travel (as a group) back to Budapest.