Tuition and Costs
The tuition for 2018–2019 is $12,195 (US) for one semester.
The tuition for 2019–2020 is $9,995 (US) for one semester.
Below are costs that are not included in the tuition. Please note that these are based on the current exchange rate and the costs may vary as the rate fluctuates.
- Transportation to and from Budapest: To be arranged by the participant.
- Optional Hungarian Immersion course: This two-and-a-half week (non-BSME) course is offered before regular semester classes begin. See this page for more details.
- Living costs: See table below. (Note: Utilities typically include water, electricity, heating, gas, internet, and common charges.) The costs are given in Hungarian forint (HUF). An estimated semester total over 4 months is 878,000 – 1,518,000 HUF.
|Expense description||Estimated monthly cost|
|Rent (not including utilities)||100,000 – 120,000 HUF|
|Utilities||20,000 – 40,000 HUF|
|Food||60,000 – 150,000 HUF|
|Local transportation||9,500 HUF
|Miscellaneous||30,000 – 60,000 HUF|
BSME does not offer financial aid or scholarships. If you receive financial aid, grants, or scholarships through your home institution, it is often possible for some or all of this money to be applied toward your BSME tuition. Please check with your Financial Services Office or your Study Abroad Office at your home institution and verify if they will remit payment or if it is your responsibility.
If your home institution is responsible for your tuition, please share the BSME invoice (contained in the acceptance packet) with the office responsible for payment. If your school needs an invoice to come directly from us, please contact the BSME North American Office.
All tuition must be paid as follows.
Non-refundable tuition deposit of $750:
- within 3 weeks of receiving your acceptance letter
- before July 1 for Fall semester
- before December 15 for Spring semester
Regardless of your financial aid package, ALL tuition must be paid in full to the BSME North American Office no later than July 1 for the fall semester and December 15 for the spring semester, unless other arrangements have been made.
Checks should be made payable to “Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education” and sent to the BSME North American Office:
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education
Attn: Jill Fisher
1520 St. Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057
Please write your full name (first, middle, and last) in the memo section of the check.
If you choose to withdraw from the program within the first 5 weeks, we will reimburse a portion of your tuition according to the following schedule: less than 1 week, 90%; less than 2 weeks, 80%; less than 3 weeks, 60%; less than 4 weeks, 40%; less than 5 weeks, 20%.