Dates for Summer 2020
Summer@BSME is a six-week program.
- Program begins on Monday, June 29. (Recommended latest arrival: Saturday, June 27. Housing available from June 22.)
- Program ends on Saturday, August 8. (Housing available until Sunday, August 9.)
This week introduces students to Hungarian mathematics education, language, and culture.
Weeks 2 through 5
You will take the following mathematics education courses.
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method (8 x 150 min sessions)
- GMP Gamification and Playfulness in Teaching Mathematics (10 x 120 min sessions)
- GPS Teaching Geometry through Problem Solving (8 x 150 min sessions)
- PRC Practicum (10 x 120 min sessions)
All classes and events (unless otherwise indicated) will take place in Room 107 of the BSME Building.
Weeks 2 and 3 (July 6-17):
Weeks 4 and 5 (July 20 – 31):
- Sunday, Aug 2: Travel (as a group) to Mátrafüred.
- Monday through Friday, Aug 3-7: Field experience component of PRC Practicum at a mathematics camp for secondary students. You will attend mathematics classes with the students to gain first-hand experience of the Hungarian student-centered learning environment. You will engage in discussions about pedagogy with camp instructors and have the opportunity to assist with various camp activities (e.g., implementing a mathematics workshop for students).
- Saturday, Aug 8: Farewell party; the end of the program.
- Sunday, Aug 9: Travel (as a group) back to Budapest.