We will continue to update this page as the plans for the Summer 2019 program become finalized. Please check back often (or contact us) for more details.
Dates for Summer 2019
Summer@BSME is a six-week program.
- Program begins on Monday, July 1. (Recommended arrival: Saturday, June 29.)
- Program ends on Saturday, August 10.
This week introduces students to Hungarian mathematics education, language, and culture. All classes and events (unless otherwise indicated) will take place in Room 107 of the BSME Building.
Weeks 2 through 5
You will take the following mathematics education courses.
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method (8 x 150 min sessions)
- PSM Problem Solving in Secondary School Mathematics (8 x 150 min sessions)
- TCH Technology in Mathematical Problem Solving (10 x 120 min sessions)
- PRC Practicum (in-class component, 10 x 120 min sessions)
All classes and events (unless otherwise indicated) will take place in Room 107 of the BSME Building.
Weeks 2 and 3 (July 8–19):
Weeks 4 and 5 (July 22 – August 2):
- Sunday, Aug 4: Travel (as a group) to Mátrafüred.
- Monday through Friday, Aug 5-9: Field experience component of PRC Practicum at a mathematics camp for secondary students. You will attend mathematics classes with the students to gain first-hand experience of the Hungarian student-centered learning environment. You will engage in discussions about pedagogy with camp instructors and have the opportunity to assist with various camp activities (e.g., implementing a mathematics workshop for students).
- Saturday, Aug 10: Farewell party; the end of the program.
- Sunday, Aug 11: Travel (as a group) back to Budapest.