All courses (except for the Week 6 field experience) are held at the BSME Campus.
Dates for Summer 2018
Summer@BSME is a six-week program. We meet roughly four to five hours a day, five days a week.
- Program begins on Monday, July 2. (Please arrive no later than Sunday, July 1.)
- Program ends on Saturday, August 11.
Week 1 (July 2–6)
Monday through Friday:
- Orientation. Includes an introduction to Summer@BSME, a crash course in Hungarian language and culture, and a guided tour of Budapest.
- In-class component of PRC Practicum. Includes an introduction to the Hungarian education system, a visit to a math camp session, and a group discussion and reflection on the pedagogy observed.
- Here is the detailed agenda for Week 1. (Coming soon!)
Weeks 2 through 5 (July 9 – August 3)
Each of the following courses runs for two weeks and consists of 20 contact hours. Two courses (DLP & TCH) are offered during Weeks 2 and 3. The other two (PSM & CBG) are offered during Weeks 4 and 5.
- DLP Discovery Learning: The Pósa Method
- TCH Technology in Mathematical Problem Solving
- PSM Problem Solving in Secondary School Mathematics
- CBG Concept Building through Games and Manipulatives
Wednesday afternoons will be devoted to PRC Practicum, which will include workshops and preparation for the field experience during Week 6.
Weeks 2 and 3 (July 9–20): Each session below involves 150 minutes of class time.
Weeks 4 and 5 (July 23 – August 3): Each session below involves 150 minutes of class time.
Week 6 (August 5–11)
- Sunday (August 5): Travel to Mátrafüred; transportation provided by BSME.
- Monday through Friday (August 6–10): Field experience component of PRC Practicum at a mathematics camp for secondary students. You will attend mathematics classes with the students to gain first-hand experience of the Hungarian student-centered learning environment. You will engage in discussions about pedagogy with camp instructors and have the opportunity to assist with various camp activities (e.g., implementing a mathematics workshop for students).
- Saturday (August 11): Farewell party; the end of the program.
- Sunday (August 12): Travel back to Budapest; transportation provided by BSME.