All courses (except for the Week 6 field experience) are held at the BSME Campus.
Dates for Summer 2018
Summer@BSME is a six-week program. We meet roughly four to five hours a day, four to five days a week.
- Program begins on Monday, July 2. (We suggest arriving by Saturday, June 30.)
- Program ends on Saturday, August 11.
Monday through Friday:
- Orientation. Includes an introduction to Summer@BSME, a crash course in Hungarian language and culture, and a guided tour of Budapest.
- In-class component of Practicum. Includes an introduction to the Hungarian education system, a visit to a math camp session, and a group discussion and reflection on the pedagogy observed.
Weeks 2 through 5
Each of these courses runs for two weeks and consists of about 20 contact hours. Two courses (DLP and TCH) are offered during Weeks 2 and 3. The other two (PSM and CBG) are offered during Weeks 4 and 5. More details are coming soon!
Weeks 2 and 3:
Weeks 4 and 5:
- PSM Problem Solving in Secondary School Mathematics
- CBG Concept Building through Games and Manipulatives
- Monday through Friday: Field experience component of Practicum at a mathematics camp for secondary students. You will attend mathematics classes with the students to gain first-hand experience of the Hungarian student-centered learning environment. You will engage in discussions about pedagogy with camp instructors and have the opportunity to assist with various camp activities (e.g., implementing a mathematics workshop for students).
- Saturday: Farewell party.